Sunday, April 6, 2014

Thoughts On Japan



I was glad that my job gave me an opportunity to work and live in Japan for 6 weeks.  I stayed on a small island, Tanegashima, that reminded me more of the small farming town where I grew up, than the bustling metropolises that I usually associate with Japan.  It was a quiet place where restaurants opened when they wanted to, and nobody seemed to be in a hurry.  Also, I was able to use a few vacation  days to see some of the larger cities, Kagoshima, Kyoto, and Tokyo.  They had their own unique charm.

There were many experiences that I could share; however, I will share two experiences that capture the essence of what I learned from the Japanese culture: a trip to the beach in Tanegashima and a temple in Kyoto.

For someone who grew up in a land-locked state, the beach is a special place.  I have been to beaches in California and on the East Coast, but the beaches of Tanegashima are extra beautiful.



Near the end of my trip, I took the rental car and went to a beach close to my hotel.  The island has beautiful, mostly abandoned, white sand beaches.  On most days the waves gently lapped their way onto the beaches, but on windy days the waves pounded the beaches and the rocking outcroppings that framed them.  On the day of this visit the wind was churning up the  sea.

As I think back to walking along the beach, I believe beaches (especially abandoned ones) have something to teach us about life.  First, waves erase our footprints.  This is symbolic of the ethereal nature of our existence on this earth.  Our effect is often erased by the passage of time.  Second, each wave looks similar from afar, but if you pay attention, you will notice that each wave is unique.  Our lives, like waves, are similar when viewed from a distance, but the more we get to know ourselves and others, the better we appreciate the infinite variety of mankind.  Finally, waves coming in and out reminds us that what is will not always be, and that what once was may be again.  Their is a cyclic nature to life and history that demands we keep a healthy perspective of both the good and the bad.

The Japanese, I believe, benefit greatly from the above mentioned lessons of beaches.  They are a spiritual people that have a great understanding of the ebb and flow of life and history, both embracing the technology of the future and worshiping the past.  They are a people that value conformity, but are as uniquely individual as any American.  And, they strive for perfection in their jobs, but can relax and have fun.

I visited many temples and shrines while in Japan.  Though there are Christian churches, the vast majority of Japanese are not Christians.  I do not completely understand their beliefs, but I can appreciate a little bit of their unique spirituality.




When entering a temple (and in some cases a business or home), you must remove your shoes.  This can lead to cold feet in the middle of winter, but this practice reminds the guest that he/she is entering a place that is different, or set-apart, from the world.

The temple decorations depict nature through paintings and gardens (both rock and plant).  Unlike with some of the western artwork I have seen, there seems to be a focus on the entire space, instead of just the artwork itself.

The feeling of these sacred spaces is one of reflection.  Western religious places where I have been focus  the worshiper on an individual or a pantheon of Gods, this temple focuses the worshiper towards the inner-self.  This does not mean that there are not holy people around which the temples are built, but that these individuals are more teachers than divine beings.

Instead of one building, there are many, each serving a unique cult, reminding us that diverse ideas can harmoniously coexist in one place.  This is a lesson that is sorely needed in a world of competing ideas.

I remain strong in my own faith.  I know that there is a God and that his son Jesus Christ atoned for the sins of mankind.  My faith is strengthened as I see how God, our Heavenly Father, inspired others to seek a path of enlightenment which brought out their best.  I am grateful for a religion that teaches that all people, even those who never knew Christ, can receive a place in his presence as they are true to the knowledge which he has given them.

Japan is a beautiful country, rich with lessons to be learned.  I hope I could communicate a little of what I learned.

If you get a chance, enjoy a new culture and learn something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment