Sunday, January 26, 2014

Capture the Moment

I recently watched a Mormon Message that reminded me of some important principles.  So much of our lives are spent rushing forward to the next big moment, that we forget to enjoy the succession of small moments that make up the bulk of our lives.  Large moments are life's roads signs, telling us how far we have come and pointing in us in new and exciting directions.  Small moments are the pebbles by which we pave this path of life.

We can miss the small moments in life if we are not careful.  I have a pretty cool job! Sometimes I am walking from one meeting to another, or lost in though over a difficult problem, and I just stop.  I think to myself, "Could I have ever imagined that my professional life would have taken me where I am now?"  I build spaceships for a living! Unfortunately, most days I go into work and come home from work without a single thought to how amazing my job really is.  The same can be said of a seemingly infinite number of moments in our lives: a typical day in a child's life, ice cream, a sunset, a walk in the park, a courteous driver (they do exist), reaching a personal goal, taking an afternoon nap, talking with a friend...  The way we chose to experience these moments makes or breaks our day.  Yet, too often, we forget them almost as soon as they happen.  Take time each week to look back and remember the small moments that defined that week.

Recently, I got to visit the Japanese Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) as a part of my job. Our group looked like a bunch of tourists.  Our cameras were out as we captured the breathtaking views of the ocean and island from several hundred feet in the air.  Very few of us were enjoying the vistas unimpeded by a camera (myself included).  

While pictures are an important means to capture and to relive a moment, sometimes we forget to make the memory we are trying to capture.  We become so engrossed in framing the photo just right, adjusting the exposure to capture the lighting, and waiting for all of the distractions to get out of the way (usually some person), that we forget to look at the picture.  By lowering our camera, we allow the full sensory and social scene to be recorded in our minds.  Can a picture of the beach record the feel of sand between our feet, the laugh of a child, the cool wind sending a slight shiver down our back, and the smell of salt water...both pungent and fresh?  No!  Take time to capture a moment with your brain and not just your camera.

We risk missing much of our lives by staring at electronic screens, instead of experiencing the world around us.  We all know this.  Yet, why do you and I still spend so much of our time lost in our electronic worlds?  Make a goal right now to put aside some time everyday without electronics.  Next time you go on a trip, experience the sights without an electronic device, even if it is just for a few minutes.  If possible, have a face-to-face conversation with your boss, business associate, friend, or family member.  Take time to see the world without an electronic filter.

Enjoy the moment!  Put down your camera, cell phone, or tablet.  Remove your earphones. Close your computer.  Turn off the TV.  Pull over the car.  Take a deep breath.  Stop.  In this moment of inactivity you will discover something amazing.  You are truly living!  If you practice, you will be able to recall these snapshots in time, even long after they have happened.  They will become a habit that leaves your life more full of gratitude and joy. The unhappy moments that we all experience will become better teachers.  At least that is my hypothesis...try the experiment with me!        





No comments:

Post a Comment